Thursday 9 February 2012

Bunny Loves to Read by Peter Bently

If there's one thing I can't resist, it's picture books about books or reading (see Library Lion, We Are in A Book, It's A Book, Dog Loves Books, The Incredible Book-Eating Boy, etc.), so when I spotted Bunny Loves to Read in the supermarket, I had to have it.

Buster Bunny loves books (I love how he's hugging a book on the cover), but his friends don't understand - they think books are boring and playing outside is much more fun. But when their plans to play outside are ruined by the rain, Buster gives them each a book to read and they are completely won over.

One of the things I love about this book is that, after the rain has stopped and the friends go outside to play, their play is informed by the books they've been reading. And, of course, the animals want to borrow books again in future.

The illustrations, by Deborah Melmon, are adorable too. In fact my only criticism is I would've liked a slightly stronger ending - I turned the page expecting a little more - but it's a lovely addition to my books about books collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment